Detroit native Barry Harris is an internationally renowned jazz pianist, composer and teacher.
Dr. Harris has devoted his life to the advancement of Jazz and for the past several decades he has been an exponent of the classic bebop style that was developed by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, and Thelonious Monk.
After moving to New York in 1960, Harris toured and recorded with people like Cannonball Adderley, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley and Coleman Hawkins. He also spent a significant amount of time with Thelonious Monk. He is not only an important pianist in the history of jazz, but he has become known as a jazz 'guru' and his lectures and interactive workshops have become legendary. When he is not travelling, the 86 year old still conducts weekly music workshops in New York City for vocalists and instrumentalists.
Music in this Episode:
1. Like This (Barry Harris) from Barry Harris Luminescence
2. Bouncin' with Bud (Bud Powell) from Hank Mobley Mobley's Message
3. Passport (Charlie Parker) from Barry Harris Breakin' It Up
4. Del Sasser (Sam Jones) from Cannonball Adderley Live at Newport
6. The Sidewinder (Lee Morgan) from Lee Morgan The Sidewinder
7. Just Friends (John Klenner and Sam M. Lewis) from Sonny Stitt Tune Up
8. My Ideal (Richard A. Whiting and Newell Chase) from Barry Harris Luminescence
9. Hot House (Tadd Dameron) from Barry Harris Barry Harris Plays Tadd Dameron