(For part one of this series, click here.) This episode focuses on Miles Davis' career in the 1950s. Jazz Currents host Keith Hall features Davis in a duet with Thelonious Monk and delves into his classic albums with his first great quintet. We'll also hear from his collaboration with Gil Evans, Miles Ahead.
Musical selections used:
1. Trane's Blues (John Coltrane) from Miles Davis - Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
2. Lady Bird (Tadd Dameron) from Tadd Dameron and Miles Davis - Live at the Paris Festival International de Jazz
3. It Might As Well Be Spring (Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II) from Sarah Vaughan in Hi-Fi
4. Morpheus (John Lewis) from Miles Davis and Horns
5. Walkin' (Miles Davis) from The Miles Davis All-Stars-Walkin'
6. Oleo (Sonny Rollins) from Miles Davis-Bags Groove
7. 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) from Miles Davis at Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4
8. Surrey With a Fringe on Top (Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II) from Miles Davis-Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
9. Ah-Leu-Cha (Charlie Parker) from Miles Davis-'Round About Midnight
10. The Theme (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis-Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet
11. If I Were A Bell (Frank Loesser) from Miles Davis - Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
12. Miles Ahead (Miles Davis/Gil Evans) from Miles Davis and Gil Evans - Miles Ahead