Part-time Morning Edition Host
WMUK 102.1 FM seeks a Part-time Morning Edition Host to join our award-winning news team as the local host and reporter for NPR’s Morning Edition, the station’s most listened-to program.
We are looking for a qualified and energetic candidate who has an excellent on-air presence and strong reporting, writing and production skills. They will utilize these skills to become a regular morning presence on WMUK – as both a regular news host and providing occasional reporting and interviewing.
The Morning Edition Host is responsible for creating excellent local radio news reports and web content daily, as well as contributing to the overall smooth functioning of the news department. The ideal candidate will be a strong reporter, writer and host with experience hosting Morning Edition or All Things Considered from NPR and reporting in a public radio newsroom. Pleasing on-air delivery and proven ability to collaborate effectively are strongly desired.
WMUK-FM is public radio from Western Michigan University and a founding NPR member station. As the Kalamazoo-based NPR affiliate for the West Michigan region, WMUK is on a dynamic path of growth and change, instituting a major format change from music to news on our main 102.1 FM channel, and the launching of a new classical service on 89.9 FM.
Our mission is to share knowledge, explore ideas and tell compelling stories that engage listeners and communities across Western Michigan and beyond. Our vision is to become the regional NPR station of choice for a growing community of public radio listeners and supporters.
- Host NPR's daily Morning Edition newsmagazine for WMUK, including: anchor and produce Morning Edition local breaks, edit and rewrite news content, engineer the board, seamlessly transition between national and local programming and forward-promote.
- Write, edit and anchor newscasts for Morning Edition. Also announce weather, traffic and other information during breaks in program.
- Occasionally research, conduct, edit and produce interviews for Morning Edition and other broadcast newsmagazine programs and online distribution. Some interviews may be live during Morning Edition.
- Take part in, and contribute towards, daily news and content staff meetings to generate plans for short and long form coverage. Suggest story ideas with supervisor and colleagues.
- Actively participate in on-air membership drives, including but not limited to: on-air pitching segments soliciting listener contributions. May also provide other membership support such as answering phones and assisting with guests.
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience.
- Radio experience in voicing news stories or live hosting.
- Strong broadcasting writing skills, including familiarity with AP style.
- Experience with single and multi-track audio editing.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field such as journalism from an accredited institution.
- Two years hosting and journalism experience.
- Ability to speak clearly and comfortably on-air.
- Ability to produce daily and breaking news on tight deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Audition CC or newer, and best field recording techniques.
- Experience with on-air fundraising.
Along with cover letter and resume, applicants must a sample of broadcast copywriting, and additionally an audio demo featuring minimum of one-minute of hosting and/or reporting work (link or physical media is acceptable).
Reports to: Andrew Robins, News Director, WMUK-FM
Submit application requirements to: email@example.com
Please include subject line: "Host Position."
Deadline to apply: October 11, 2021. WMU is an AA/EO Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and all other qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.