Morning Edition Host / Reporter
WMUK 102.1 FM seeks a Morning Edition Host / Reporter to join our award-winning news team as the local host and reporter for NPR’s Morning Edition, the Station’s most listened-to program.
We are looking for qualified and energetic candidates who have an excellent on-air presence and strong reporting, writing and production skills. They will utilize these skills to become a regular morning presence on WMUK – as both a regular news host and a general assignment reporter.
The Morning Edition Host / Reporter is responsible for creating excellent local radio news reports and web content daily, as well as contributing to the overall smooth functioning of the news department. The ideal candidate will be a strong reporter, writer and host with experience hosting Morning Edition or All Things Considered from NPR and reporting in a public radio newsroom. Pleasing on-air delivery and proven ability to collaborate effectively are strongly desired.
WMUK 102.1 FM is public radio from Western Michigan University and a founding NPR member station. As the Kalamazoo-based NPR affiliate for the West Michigan region, WMUK is on a dynamic path of growth and change.
Our new mission is to share knowledge, explore ideas and tell compelling stories that engage listeners and communities across Western Michigan and beyond. Our vision is to become the regional NPR station of choice for a growing community of public radio listeners and supporters.
A stated goal for our newsroom, as set forth in our strategic plan, is at aimed at “improving the quality of our local coverage.” This goal will be accomplished by adopting a robust editorial workflow, and more effectively deploying staff resources during WMUK’s most listened-to programs, Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
- Host NPR's daily Morning Edition newsmagazine for WMUK, including: anchor and produce Morning Edition local breaks, edit and rewrite news content, engineer the board, seamlessly transition between national and local programming and forward-promote.
- Write, edit and anchor newscasts for Morning Edition. Also announce weather, traffic and other information during breaks in program.
- Research, conduct, edit and produce interviews for Morning Edition and other broadcast newsmagazine programs and online distribution. Some interviews may be live during Morning Edition.
- Produce spot and feature length stories for WMUK on a general assignment basis. This may include covering events such as news conferences that occur after Morning Edition, developing story ideas, conducting interviews and writing stories for newscasts and feature length segments.
- Cover breaking news, contribute to NPR national network newscasts and programs, as needed.
- Host or co-host other station programs and events, as needed.
- Take part in, and contribute towards, daily news and content staff meetings to generate plans for short and long form coverage. Suggest story ideas with supervisor and colleagues.
- Actively participate in on-air membership drives, including but not limited to: on-air pitching segments soliciting listener contributions. May also provide other membership support such as answering phones and assisting with guests.
- Represent WMUK at station-sponsored events outside of the station. May include candidate forums and tables at fairs and festivals.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field such as journalism from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience.
- Experience in voicing news stories or live hosting.
- Strong broadcasting writing skills, including familiarity with AP style.
- Experience with single and multi-track audio editing.
- Ability to travel for on-location reporting and to work on outdoor assignments, occasionally in difficult weather conditions.
- Three years' hosting and journalism experience.
- Experience creating sound-rich, meaningful features for a public radio station.
- Ability to speak clearly and comfortably on-air.
- Ability to produce daily and breaking news on tight deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Acrobat DC and best field recording techniques.
- Experience with on-air fundraising.
Along with cover letter and resume, applicants must a sample of broadcast copywriting, and additionally an audio demo featuring minimum of one-minute of hosting and/or reporting work (link or physical media is acceptable).
Reports to: Andrew Robins, News Director, WMUK 102.1 FM
For complete description, minimum requirements and application procedures, visit our website at: http://www.wmujobs.org Only applications submitted through this site will be considered. Posting #0605277. Deadline to apply: January 28, 2020. WMU is an AA/EO Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and all other qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.