Thank you for considering WMUK for a special gift beyond your membership or annual donation! There are many ways to make your gift. We've outlined some quick links here, but if you have further questions, please email Sakhi Vyas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ways to Give
- Make a year-end or additional gift Donate Now!
- Donate your car, truck, boat, or other motorized vehicle. Our partners at CARS will walk you through the process - they make the donation very easy! Visit wmuk.careasy.org/home for next steps.
- Our partners at CARS also accept gifts of real estate and land. To learn more, visit https://wmuk.careasy.org/real-estate-donation
Consider participating in WMUK's Day Sponsorship program! A minimum gift of $100/month ($1,200/year), you can be eligible for on-air recognition as a valued member of WMUK. Learn more at wmuk.org/daysponsor
- Employer gift match: Many employers of current and retired employees will step in to support their employee’s philanthropic interests, doubling or tripling the impact of your gift. Please check with your employer’s human resources office or scroll to the bottom of the page linked here to find your eligible matching employer https://donate.wmuk.org/pledge/
- WMU Employees can make a gift via payroll deduction by filling out this form and submitting to HR. Payroll Deduction
- Gifts of appreciated securities including stocks, mutual funds, and bonds. Be sure to email email@example.com to let us know.
All gifts to WMUK will be processed through the Western Michigan University Foundation and are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. You should consult your tax advisor or applicable federal and state income tax instructions.
Planned Gifts Generosity comes in many forms. If WMUK has been an important part of your life, consider including the station in your estate plan. A gift to WMUK can be made either directly or through a financial gift model that can provide you with tax benefits and even potential income. For specific questions about your estate planning, please speak with your advisor or financial administrator.
As a note, WMUK is licensed to Western Michigan University, and should be listed as written below in our proper legal identification.
Western Michigan University, for the use of WMUK
1903 W. Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5351
Tax ID # 38-2138856
Here are some other tools to assist you
- Letter of Intent Form Please be sure to send a copy of this to Sakhi Vyas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Planning kits from WMUK licensee Western Michigan University:
WMUK works with the advisors at the Western Michigan University Foundation for legal and financial expertise. Visit here to download the free guides and kits that are available for your research. https://mylegacygift.wmualumni.org/
Bequest: You designate WMUK as the beneficiary of your asset by will, trust, or other instrument
Benefits of Your Bequest
- Receive estate tax charitable deduction.
- Lessen the burden of taxes on your family.
- Leave a lasting legacy.
How to make a Bequest?
With the help of an advisor, a bequest may be made in several ways to include family, friends or WMUK as part of your plan:
- Gift of a specific dollar amount or asset
- Gift of a percentage of your estate
- Gift from the balance or residue of your estate
Making a Bequest of Your Retirement Assets
A retirement asset, such as an IRA account, makes an excellent bequest to us. If the IRA were given to your family, much of the value may be lost through estate and income taxes. By designating WMUK as the beneficiary of all or part of your IRA (using a beneficiary designation form provided by your custodian), the full value of the gift is transferred tax-free at your death and your estate receives an estate tax charitable deduction.
Sample Bequest Language:
"I give to Western Michigan University, a nonprofit corporation currently located at Heritage Hall, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5403, for its use for WMUK Public Radio, or its successor thereto, ___________________ (written amount or percentage of the estate or description of gift) for its unrestricted use and purpose."
If you are 70 1/2 years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit WMUK and receive tax benefits in return. You can give any amount up to $100,000 per year from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money. This popular gift option is commonly called the IRA Charitable Rollover, but you may also see it referred to as a qualified charitable distribution, or QCD for short.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making
- You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
- Beginning in the year you turn 72, you can use your gift to satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution.
- Since this gift doesn't count as income, it acn reduce your annual invome level. This may help lower your Medicare premiums and decrease the amount of Social Security that is subject to tax.
Note: To make an IRA charitable rollover gift to WMUK, simply contact your IRA custodian and request that an amount be transferred directly to Western Michigan University for the use of WMUK. Your gift can be cash or stock in any amount up to $100,000. Note that, in order to be tax-free, the donation must be transferred directly from your account to WMU without passing through your hands.
Ask your IRA administrator to make a transfer to:
Western Michigan University Foundation, for the use of WMUK
1903 W. Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5403 Tax ID# 38-2138856
And be sure to let us know so that we can properly thank you! To notify our office or for additional questions, please contact Sakhi Vyas: email@example.com or call 269.387.5647