Jazz Currents is previewing some of the jazz artists that are performing at The Gilmore Keyboard Festival this spring. This episode features Mr. B, Emily Bear, Sullivan Fortner and Taylor Eigsti.
The Flint, Michigan, native, “Mr. B,” is keeping the blues and boogie-woogie piano tradition alive. He returns to The Gilmore with his trio including Paul Keller on bass and Pete Siers on drums.
14-year old composer, Emily Bear, has performed in major venues and appeared on popular television shows. Her album Diversity includes original music produced by her mentor Quincy Jones.
Sullivan Fortner, a native of New Orleans, has worked with Jason Moran, Stefon Harris and Roy Hargrove. He recently released his debut album Aria and will perform with his trio at the Noon Series.
Since his 2002 performance at the festival, Taylor Eigsti has become a major presence on the international jazz scene. He returns to Kalamazoo with his trio performing at Bell's Eccentric Café on May 12.
For a complete schedule and ticket information visit Thegilmore.org
Music in this Episode:
1. Whirl (Matthew Fries) from Matthew Fries Parallel States
2. Rockin' with Red (Mark Lincoln Braun) from Mr. B Joybox
3. Little Brother (Mark Lincoln Braun) from Mr. B Shining the Pearls
4. Hallelujah Train (Mark Lincoln Braun) from Mr. B Joybox
5. Hot Peppers (Emily Bear) from Emily Bear Diversity
6. Q (Emily Bear) from Emily Bear Diversity
7. All The Things You Are (Jerome Kern/Oscar Hammerstein II) from Sullivan Fortner Aria
8. Focus (Theo Croker) from Theo Croker The Fundamentals
9. Aria (Sullivan Fortner) from Sullivan Fortner Aria
10. Giant Steps (John Coltrane) from Taylor Eigsti Lucky To Be Me
11. Magnolia (Taylor Eigsti/Becca Stevens) from Taylor Eigsti Daylight at Midnight
12. Deluge (Wayne Shorter) from Taylor Eigsti Let It Come to You
13. Positive Attitude (Matthew Fries) from Matthew Fries Parallel States