Jazz Currents: Miles Davis, The Early Years (Pt 1)
Trumpeter and bandleader Miles Davis had a career that spanned over 50 years. He recorded over 100 albums as a leader, and was a primary voice in many of the important developments in jazz history. In the first of five Jazz Currents episodes, Keith Hall celebrates what would have been the 90th birthday of one of the most influential musicians of all time.
This episode covers Davis's early years in East St. Louis, Illinois and his move to New York City, where he had profound experiences with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie during the bebop era. We also listen to his early collaborations with Gil Evans on the pivotal album 'Birth of the Cool.'
1. Joshua (Victor Feldman/Miles Davis) from Miles Davis-7 Steps to Heaven
2. Ornithology (Charlie Parker) from Charlie Parker –Complete Savoy Recordings
3. Ah-Leu-Cha (Charlie Parker) from Charlie Parker –Complete Savoy Recordings
4. Now's the Time (Charlie Parker) from Charlie Parker –Complete Savoy Recordings
5. Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker) from Charlie Parker–Complete Savoy Recordings
6. Oo Bop Sh'Bam (Dizzy Gillespie/Kenny Clarke) from Billy Eckstine and His Orchestra
7. Donna Lee (Miles Davis) from Charlie Parker –Complete Savoy Recordings
8. Milestones (John Lewis) from Miles Davis' All-Stars
9. Boplicity (Miles Davis/Gil Evans) from Miles Davis-Birth of the Cool
10. Jeru (Gerry Mulligan) from Miles Davis-Birth of the Cool
11. Israel (Johnny Carisi) from Miles Davis-Birth of the Cool