Jazz Currents: Miles Davis Goes Modal With 'Kind Of Blue' (Pt 3)
(For parts one and two of this series, click here and here.) The third episode of Keith Hall's five-part series focusing on jazz pioneer Miles Davis takes us into Davis' work with his sextet, which included the powerhouse saxophone duo of Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane.
We'll learn about the modal concept, the additional collaborations with arranger Gil Evans, and the making of one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, Kind of Blue.
1. Straight No Chaser (Thelonious Monk) from Miles Davis Milestones
2. Milestones (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis Milestones
3. One for Daddy-O (Nat Adderley) from Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else
4. Fran Dance (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis '58 Sessions
5. Bess, You Is My Woman (George Gershwin) from Miles Davis Porgy & Bess
6. Summertime (George Gershwin) from Miles Davis Porgy & Bess
7. All Blues (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis Kind of Blue
8. So What (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis Kind of Blue
9. Concierto de Aranjuez (Joaquin Rodrigo) from Miles Davis Sketches of Spain
10. Solea (Gil Evans) from Miles Davis Sketches of Spain
11. Someday my Prince Will Come (Frank Churchill) from Miles Davis Someday My Prince Will Come
12. No Blues (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis In Person Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk