Jazz Currents: Lightning Strikes Twice For Miles Davis (Pt 4)
(Here are the earlier episodes in this Jazz Currents series celebrating what would have been Miles Davis' 90th birthday: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.) When we look back at the career of Miles Davis, and the many musicians that have come through his bands, two combinations stand out: The first great quintet of the 1950’s with Coltrane, Garland, Chambers and Jones; and his brilliant second quintet featuring Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. In this, the fourth of five episodes on Miles Davis, Keith Hall digs into the rich catalog of this 1960’s quintet.
Musical selections used in this episode:
1. Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home? (Clarence Williams and Charles Warfield) from Miles Davis Seven Steps to Heaven
2. Seven Steps to Heaven (Victor Feldman) from Miles Davis Seven Steps to Heaven
3. Walkin’ (Jimmy Mundy or Gene Ammons) from Miles Davis Live in Europe
4. Four (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis The Complete Concert 1964: Four & More/My Funny Valentine
5. So What (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis The Complete Concert 1964: Four & More/My Funny Valentine
6. Milestones (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis Live in Berlin
7. E.S.P. (Wayne Shorter) from Miles Davis E.S.P.
8. If I Were A Bell (Frank Loesser) from Miles Davis The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel
9. Nefertiti (Wayne Shorter) from Miles Davis Nefertiti
10. ‘Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk) from Miles Davis No Blues
11. No Blues (Miles Davis) from Miles Davis No Blues